The five place types are:
- headquarters - A headquarters of other places. May belong to another headquarters.
- branch - Belongs to a headquarters. Not the headquarters of other places.
- independent - A place that does not report to a headquarters and does not have branch locations.
- individual - A professional individual, often working within a practice with other individuals.
- kiosk - An unmanned place such as an ATM.
A place's type is important for understanding its location and corporate linkage.